Sunday, May 29, 2011

Perspective

Life never quite goes the way you plan. My fellow Missourians in Joplin experienced that in stark perspective last Sunday. For a time, my husband and I paced the floor and worried about the tornado reaching his sister who lives in nearby Webb City. Later that night she got through to us on her cell phone to let us know it hadn’t gotten that far.

Our family was one of the lucky ones because she and our nephew are safe. My heart and the hearts of my family go out to the ones who weren’t so lucky, their families and all the survivors. Bless you all.

The sky here in Springfield after that horrible event 60 or so miles away was absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful as the sun set. A double rainbow graced the storm’s end.

It’s all in the perspective.  Someone who hadn’t known about the tornado would probably have thought something about the sky being pretty.  My husband and I, aware of Joplin’s hard hit, stood in awe at the changing face of nature.

Today, I stand in awe of the many selfless volunteers who are helping Joplin’s survivors regain the perspective of their lives. No, life never quite goes the way you plan, but it goes on.  

1 comment:

  1. Great post, VJ. I've heard so many comments about the double rainbow after the tornado. I managed to get a picture of it. Definitely breathtaking in the wake of such tragedy.

    My heart goes out to the people of Joplin. They'll need our continued support.

    ReplyDelete