Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Books of Paper vs e-Readers

Books feel substantial. I enjoy the heft of a book made of paper. The volumes have a certain feel and texture. Books have an energy all their own, almost a life force. They help raise our children, teach us wisdom, and get passed from generation to generation as blessings.

I own a Nook. Mostly it sits in my desk drawer. The habit of picking it up and reading books from this electronic device has not come to me. It is still a cool thing and miraculous because it contains a vast amount of knowledge within such a small space. A whole library resides therein. Amazing.

Because I am publishing my books on Amazon.com, I purchased a Kindle Fire. I am looking forward to holding it and playing with it and, even, reading books using the device. As soon as it arrives, I will start creating the habit. After 21 days using a Kindle to read books should not be strange, because it takes 21 days to create a habit.

I shall not give up reading books printed on paper. While I may enjoy the fun and convenience of my Kindle, I am loyal to the friends of my childhood. Still, I am excited by my new Kindle. I almost can't wait until it reaches my door. Making a new friend is always fun.

How do you feel about books, Kindles, Nooks, and other reading devices? Any tips on apps to get for the Kindle Fire?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you, I've had a Nook, Kindle and now and iPad and while a love the convenience and really read a LOT on my tablet, nothing can replace an actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! There is nothing like a good book that you can physically touch and turn the pages of. They do become old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the appeal of a printed book, but I'm a Kindle convert. I love how easy it is to hold in one hand and how I can turn pages with a flick of my thumb. I'm annoyed now when I have to deal with a printed book, especially a big, heavy hardback.

    ReplyDelete