Monday, September 16, 2013

Walking the Walk

I am a writer. For the first time in quite a while, I know I am a writer. It is good to both talk the talk and walk the walk.

My first fiction book DEATH OF BIGFOOT & OTHER TALES is out both as an ebook on Amazon and as a POD print edition. Good reviews are coming in. The second book is underway and is scheduled to be launched by the beginning of October. I am walking the walk I have always dreamed of doing.

My only regret is that my mother passed before I got this far and before she could hold my book in her hands. She always encouraged my ambitions.

One thing that I have learned is don't wait to follow your dreams. The words may be often heard and said, but the wisdom is true.

My compilation of short stories would still be scattered manuscripts in my file drawer had I not been in a car wreck last December in which someone ran a red light and t-boned my car. While I am a walking miracle, having suffered only a bruised temple, various other bruises, and the lingering effects of whiplash, I know I might have been killed. God was looking out for me.

My close call made me think. What would have happened to all my writing? All those stories I had fun creating, the stories my friends and family enjoyed?

So, I did it. I set a goal to publish my works and I am in the process of achieving that goal. Fortunately, I have enough stories, long and short, for several books. Plus I am writing more. So, I don't see this endeavor ending any time soon.

I am a writer, an author, and I keep writing...and I am walking the walk.



8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. Time flies and before you know it, you're on the other side of 30, then 40 and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, that is so true. One thing I have found, though, is that the hours of each single day seem to last longer if I take the time to pause and experience the moments. Fortunately, that means I have more time to accomplish my goals...and to enjoy doing so.

      Delete
  3. Vera,
    I just learned something new about you. What an inspirational story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. Sharing is sometimes hard for me to do, but I've found that teaching by life lessons is a wonderful experience.

      Delete
  4. You speak my language. " don't wait to follow your dreams" is my motto. Of course I didn't learn that lesson until after my husband died. Funny how death teaches us about living.

    Congrats and don't falter. Keep walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And thank you for the encouragement. Death and brushes with death truly can open one's eyes to the real reality.

      Delete